The Family Self Sufficiency Program is designed to help our Section 8 families to obtain economic independence.
The great thing about this program is that the Housing Authority establishes and maintains a SAVINGS ACCOUNT for the family. Once the family is on the FSS program and receives an increase in earned income that causes the families rent to increase, CIRHA will make a monthly deposit of the amount of the rent increase into the family’s FSS savings account. This interest bearing account is held for the family by CIRHA. After successful completion of the Family Self Sufficiency Program, the family is eligible to request the funds in their account.
FSS is a great program for families who want to improve their quality of life and gain economic independence. In addition to providing the escrow account, CIRHA’s FSS Coordinators will work with the families and local agencies to provide any supportive services that may assist the family in achieving their goals for self sufficiency.
- To comply with the terms of the lease, program regulations, and family responsibilities. (This includes all family members)
- The head of the household must gain and maintain full-time employment before the end of the contract.
- The head of the household must gain and maintain independence from welfare assistance for at least 12 months before the end of the contract.
- The head of the household must execute an individual training and services plan, which will include goals that the family sets for themselves in order to become self-sufficient.
- The head of household must meet with the FSS Coordinator on at least a quarterly basis.
HOUSING AUTHORITY RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Establish and maintain an escrow account for the family as well as provide information to the family regarding the account balance at least annually.
- Determine if the family has completed the contract of participation.
- Provide supportive services to the family or make referrals to area agencies that provide the needed services.
- Assisting the head of household in setting up their individual training and services plan.